Get to know the Dancer // Dexter Green
Get to know some of the dancers at DCCD, their inspiration, and where their training began! We would like to introduce Dexter Green!
1. How long have you been dancing? 18 years! Starting at age three.
2. Why did you start dancing? My mom would take me to the studio that my sisters danced at and the owner saw me manipulating the dance moves and thought I would be a good addition to her dance school. I was also too small to play sports.
3. Who or what is your biggest dancing inspiration? Mike Song. His movement quality is insane and his choreography keeps me in constant awe. If you haven’t seen him, look him up!
4. What is your proudest dance achievement so far? Last year, I was given the opportunity to do a duet and 'The Rite of Spring’ at the Winspear Opera House. Sharing the stage with other incredibly talented dance companies was an honor. And to do a duet with one of my best friends made it better!
5. Tell us about your hobbies outside of dance. I don’t have many hobbies outside of dance, but I do love going out to different restaurants and trying new food. I also love going to concerts. The quickest way to my heart is through my stomach and through loud speakers.
6. Choose one word to describe your dancing. Giving. The reason I dance is to entertain an audience. It’s not for me, it is always for those who take time out of their busy day just to watch me dance. It’s truly an honor to dance in front of anyone.
7. What is your favorite dance quote? "You were wild once, don’t let them tame you.“ Isadora Duncan
DCCD dancers Dexter Green & Emily Bernet by Sergio Garcia for On Magazine